[Runequest] RQ6 simulationist question

Sven Lugar vikingjarl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 02:35:03 EST 2013

One of the tests Steve ran when writing RQ back in the 70's was to time
me & see how many blows I could throw, how many I could block, & how
many I could throw & block in 12 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds to
determine the "best" length of a melee round. Considering that in the 12
second round it was easily on the order of 15 to 20 blows thrown &
blocked even after a long tiring session I would say that even a 5
second melee round is a concatenation of a melee flurry. Even my most
exhausting fight - a 1 hour 23 minute bout against Sir Christopher of
Houghten at the first "Vikingsholm Tourney" on the shores of lake Tahoe
- where we both were fighting altitude sickness on top of exhaustion, we
were throwing more than one blow every 2 seconds. Also at the time in
the SCA (the mid 70's), "Duke Paul of Bellatrix" & "Duke James Greyhelm"
were the premier fighters (mostly in the West since travel between East
& West was minimal - but at the time the Western fighters were regarded
as much better than Eastern). Both of them taught their students to
throw "Combinations" of blows. That lead to the way RQ handled melee &
the quote from RQ3.

By RQ6's time, you have multiple styles of combat & multiple research
groups that have studied & translated from the ancient masters. This has
lead to a blossoming of knowledge about early combat. But still more
than one blow is thrown in any 5 minute period.

So both have their simulations in trying to present "reality" out of the
necessity of avoiding getting too complex.

Sköl,
Sven