[Runequest] RQ6 simulationist question

lev at rpgreview.net lev at rpgreview.net
Mon Jan 21 21:02:33 EST 2013

> 	I think RQ3 is an explicitly detailed and simulationist set of rules,
> just not as good at it, as fun or as interesting as RQ6. I don't think
> that in any way makes it more abstract. If anything, RQ3 is often less
> abstract (ie specific weapon skills rather than 'combat styles'), it just
> puts a lot of the detail in the wrong places.

Indeed, you are quite correct about RQ3 being more simulationist in terms
of combat skills, especially keeping in mind that that the "specific
weapon skills" were actually categories; "Adventurers trained in a
category of weapon will gain equal percentiles in all weapons in that
category" (p62 Deluxe).

As for the combat styles of RQ6... well, there was three pages of vague
ideas; certainly a case of a great idea but of remarkably incomplete
execution.

Cheers, Lev