[Runequest] RQ6 simulationist question

Tomas Björklund tomas.g.bjorklund at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 05:38:41 EST 2013

Agreed.

I stand by my view that whatever system evokes the right images and
feelings is the right one for you, but both systems do an equally good or
poor job as simulations. Every model contains abstractions and omissions,
and the difference here is in the mix of such in RQ3 and RQ6.

If someone feels that more or less randomness, or RQ6 works better than
RQ3, i.e. gives the "right feel" then that's fine, either way.

As a side note, what most RPQ systems get wrong, in my opinion is how
wounds and trauma affects a person. Here, both systems are quite far from
reality. Which is fine with me, and I am a huge fan of both systems anyway.
But if you want realism I would say this is the area you want to focus on.

Hit points, however you use them, like D&D in one big pool, or like RQ
segmentet by body location, is not a good model of how a body reacts to
wounds. Even though the RQ systems have some add-ons that deal with severed
and incapacitated body parts, which is an improvement.

Blood loss, and fatigue, are processes that can progress from fine to
worse, and conceivably be modelled with points, but incapacitation, shock
and death ... not so much. Most parts of a human body either work or they
do not, there is rarely any in-between state. Perhaps a more realistic
system would be no fun as a game, as I'm sure many have tried to model
reality better without much success (regarding playability) over the years.

I read somewhere that Dave Arnesson's first version of D&D actually had
more realistic rules for death and such, but Gygax and others felt it was
no fun. Which is why he imported parts of his game system for Naval battles
into D&D, and the world got Hit Points. The rest, as they say, is history.