[Runequest] RQ6 spirit question

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sat Jan 19 17:08:33 EST 2013

Actually, I've been looking at converting older spirit cult material to RQ6 lately, and I keep finding various sorts of spirits that aren't in the RQ6 rules. Not that it has been terribly difficult to convert - but the spirit world,  as represented in Glorantha at least, is a wonderfully rich and diverse place that is always going to have more diversity than we should try to fit in any single rules book. The RQ6 rules have a rather good collection, I think richer than any previous edition, that should provide for an inspiring spirit world for most games, but there are always more possibilities.

My spirit menagerie is growing to include...
- Passion spirits (the one common spirit type from RQ3 that isn't directly present in RQ6 - but most are effectively like RQ6 Curse Spirits ruleswise, I think)
- Elemental spirits that do not have a physical manifestation (basically, like Nature spirits in the RQ rules, but associated with elemental powers not plant or animal spirits)
- other spirits capable of inflicting physical damage (similar in how they attack to wraiths, but not necessarily like wraiths in any other way)
- spirits that carry spells, similar to RQ3 Spell Spirits, can be useful for simulating a lot of described spirit effects - and spirits that can cast divine miracles (recently described by Loz in a forum post) are particularly useful for converting cults that are clearly spirit cults (eg Kygor Litor) but that had notable Rune Magic in RQ3 and earlier.
- spirits of healing
- and, of course, many unique and unusual spirits known only to specific religions - eg the Bulls <Body Part> spirits used by Urox/Storm Bull

I've only been playing with it for a while, but so far I love RQ6 Animism and spirits, the system has a lot of potential for a very playable, fun, rich and diverse version of animism.

Cheers

	Dave