[Runequest] RQ6 simulationist question

Tomas Björklund tomas.g.bjorklund at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 11:45:29 EST 2013

Both rule sets are fine as game systems, in my opinion, and model real
combat equally well. They just focus on different aspects of it.

As Pete said they are abstractions, or models, and even though you didn't
want to talk about "fun", that is really what it comes down to. They are
intended for a game and as such "fun" is a huge factor. Use whatever system
you think best evokes in your mind the experience and feeling of melee
combat.

Real hand to hand combat, whether bare handed, with blade or or weapons is
a very fluid and dynamic affair, with a lot of things going on
simultaneously, both mentally and physically. Not something that is easily
captured by game rules, and I think that a truer simulation would lead to a
quite complex pen and paper game system. Especially if you want to model
the concurrency in a real fight.