[Runequest] What I did with little thought to the future.

Asher Royce Yaffee ashersensei at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 15:20:04 EST 2013

Hi, All,
   Without giving thought to the future, I did a few things to make sorcery
more fun for my underage players.  The RQ3 sorcery system is a bit
complicated for 7-, 8- & 10-year-olds, so I carry most of the load of
making it work, of course.  I also added some house rules to make the
spells more kid-friendly.
   One house rule is that when a spell has parentheses, I tell my kids that
they can choose which version to have ready for that day.  For example, if
a sorcerer had the spell Form/Set (substance), then the kids would decide
what substance they might need for the day.  This house rule has made
sorcerers very flexible, putting a minimum burden of planning on the kids.
 (Planning is a real weakness for kids, as you may know.)
   Speaking of planning being a weakness -- oh the irony! -- I hadn't given
any thought to how this house rule might imbalance things.  Right now,
while I manage everything, it's all fine.  But when the kids are older and
making more decisions, such as whether to min-max, how would things work
out?
   Would this house rule make sorcerers the only logical choice for
characters pursuing magic?  Would players abandon the path of the shaman
and the priest even if they wanted to choose those for their characters?

   Your opinions and insights are warmly welcome.  Thank you ahead of time.
   Sincerely,
Asher