[Runequest] Sandbox vs Campaign (was Re: Random thoughts)

Robert Hoffman iquinn at surewest.net
Wed Feb 6 11:07:20 EST 2013

Exactly, the best of both worlds is to create a convincing and compelling
world in which players could either take a single adventure or a series of
adventures.  The Hobbit vs Lord of the Rings, for example.  =)

The closet I come to "sand box" games though is to create a number of
optional side missions which may have little impact on the overall narrative
but are excellent diversions for a single session.

I can understand the idea of getting tired of a character, and have had
players retire a character for one reason or another, but again it comes
back to the setting keeping the players interested and presenting sufficient
opportunity for character growth and interaction within that setting.