[Runequest] Random thoughts

Robert Hoffman iquinn at surewest.net
Wed Feb 6 04:07:02 EST 2013

I'm curious about this as well.  For a while I was playing with a new group
that would generate new characters, write up background stories, play an
adventure spanning maybe 3-4 sessions and then retire those characters only
to start the character generation process all over again.  This seemed so
crazy to me, since I was used to a more enduring story arc that could
outlive any single character and sometimes even an entire party.  We played
until we reached an endgame of some sort; an epic battle or other satisfying
resolution.

I understand the appeal of a "one shot" especially to introduce new players
to a setting or rule set, but what is the advantage of repeated "sand box"
games?