[Runequest] Inspiration

Brian Libby ogreloot69 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 05:25:49 EST 2013

This thread made me feel like sharing some books I found to be excellent.
Monkey a journey to the west.
Secrets of the samurai.
Water margin.
The book of 5 rings.
Three of them are classics, and one is an in depth look at Japanese arms,
armor, and martial arts.
Found within each book are some great ideas for an asian based campaign.
Although Monkey does delve into Buddhism, it is quite a tale of adventure.

http://www.amazon.com/RuneQuest-90s-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Japanese/dp/493846165X

http://rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/attachments/20130830/792b0bdd/attachment-0001.html

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 06:53:11 -0400
> From: Ravi Desai <rdesai at chartermi.net>
> To: RuneQuest Rules <runequest at rpgreview.net>
> Subject: Re: [Runequest] Japanese edition of RuneQuest....
>
> A little too 90's for my taste?
>
> Actually, though, this is a pretty cool find.  Aside from the "anime"
look to the people, though, the rest of the cover has a very west European
feel.  If you were going to redo the cover, why wouldn't you at least put
samara style armor on the guy and have a Japanese dragon?

> On Aug 30, 2013, at 1:49 AM, "Lev Lafayette" <lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:
>
>> I had no idea this even existed. Anyone know anything about it?

http://www.amazon.com/RuneQuest-90s-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Japanese/dp/493846165X

>> --
>> Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA
>> mobile:  0432 255 208
>> RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
>> http://www.quicksales.com.au/shop/RPG-Review.aspx

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 12:33:16 +0100 (BST)
> From: Alban de ROSTOLAN <aluban at yahoo.fr>
> To: RuneQuest Rules <runequest at rpgreview.net>
> Subject: Re: [Runequest] Japanese edition of RuneQuest....
>
> I did some reasearch on this book and found this :
>
> http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/ndaily/1994.06/4290.html
>

> - A4 160p Basepak + A4 140p Suppliment(Extra background and rules).
> ??Each includes ready-to-run scenario.
> - Needs only D6s.
>
>         * Nice Illustrations. Japanimation touch :-).
>         * Rich Background information about Dragon Pass. Brief history of
Glorantha and Dragon Pass. Detailed history of Sartar and Lunar. Myth,
maps, runes, clans, magic items, etc...
>         * Rich cult information. For Player characters ... Orlanth,
Humakt, Storm Bull, Charana Arroy, Issaries, Lhanker Mhy, Yelmalio,
Ernalda, Odayra, Babeester Gor, Lanbril, Eurmal, Dnandar. For NPCs or
Enemies ... Kygor Litor, Zorak Zoran, Mostal, Aldrya, 7 Mothers, Etiryes,
Krasht, Malia, Bagog, Thed, Thanatar, Vivamort, Bloody Tusk.
>         * Simplified Character Generation (Cult-based template method).
>         * Only two Skill Categories. Mental skills and Physical skills.
Mental skill mod is INT score. Physical skill mod is DEX score.
>         * No ENC. No Fatigue. No Hit Location. No Strike Rank but
DEX-Rank.
>         * No Resistance Roll but Characteristic Roll does.
>         * No Special Hit. Only Critical on 1/10 of success chance.
>         * RQ2-like Impale/Slash/Crush rules.
>         * No enchant. No ritual magic. No shaman. No sorcery.
>         * No starndard Rune Magics. 3 to 5 Rune Magics for every cult.
Ex. Orlanth: <Thundar Bolts> <Shield> <Flight> <Lightening Bolts>
> I don't really understand how the "needs only D6" and "Only Critical on
1/10 of success chance" can match together, so I guess the author of this
description meant "needs only D6s and d100 for task resolution"...

http://rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/attachments/20130830/1753f08c/attachment-0001.html

http://rpgreview.net/pipermail/runequest_rpgreview.net/attachments/20130830/ea95524b/attachment.html