[Runequest] Where's My PC's Graduation Gift?

Simon Phipp soltakss at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 30 03:19:48 EST 2013

> What happens to all the loot, especially magic items, scrolls, etc, from ancestor Adventurers? From what I know of primitive cultures, selling the items to Lhankor Mhy would be almost taboo for many: items would stay in the family, clan, tribe, or cult before being sold to outsiders. This would include most townspeople, too, even if they are not tribally affiliated. Family First.

Not necessarily just adventuring. What if granddad did the "Orlanth Gains Death" HeroQuest to gain a magical sword. It wouldn't be as an adventurer, maybe he needed it to kill a vampire that was feeding off his family. Afterwards, he hangs it on the wall as a trophy and gives it to his favourite grandchild. What if granny had done an Ernaldan HeroQuest and gained a magical blanket that calmed people down when they sat on it? That would be an heirloom.

> And how long has Adventuring been going on? How many items aquired?

Families with adventurers, priests or HeroQuestors would have more items available. maybe they have been handed down from father to son or mother to daughter for many generations.

> So there would be something in most families, at least, and depending on the clan, tribe, and cult, there could be some in each. What's the point? Inheritance. Family heirlooms, handed down from generations past, given to favorite nieces, sons, etc. There would be many, many, many of them lost to time, sure, but have your favorite PC go through the family, attic and trunks and Detect Magic, they're going to find stuff.

I wouldn't assume that just because something isn't used on a day to day basis the adventurers could just steal it, or borrow it without permission. Rather, they would be given it upon initiation into a cult, or on becoming an adult, or getting married, or becoming a priest.

> Some types of cults may Adventure more than others, Issaries comes to mind, so new Adventurers are likely to get gifted with unused items of known or unknown significance, when SETTING OUT! Parents and grand-parents at least would hand down items to the new quester. There needs be tables of these things, likelihood based on the usual character creation classes, especially magic-related items.

A table would be an interesting idea. Maybe the base chance is a luck roll, or POWx1%, modified by how rich/adventurous/powerful the family is, maybe a +10% chance for each. Rolling a success takes you to a Minot Items table, a special to a Major Items Table and a critical to a Special Items Table. Each table could have a 96-00 of go to next table, just to give the chance of getting a better item.

The Minor Items table might contain normal weapons or pieces of armour. The Major Items table might contain spell matrices, POW Storing crystals and small enchantments. The Special Items table might contain powered crystals, large matrices or one-ff magical items.

Simon