[Runequest] Getting to the point.

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 01:27:33 EST 2013

Spears' advantages are many:
-reach...in the real world, it's not just abstract hit points, it's pain
and death.  The idea of inflicting that at a distance is powerfully
attractive.
-simplicity...yes, I believe that training a spear is probably more
intuitive and simpler than a sword.  Further, it's probably with mentioning
too that the spear it's a much more natural, instinctive thing: poking a
stick at something to keep it further away from you seems to be more
reactive than the sort aggressive, deliberate step-into-combat method that
would be required to deploy a sword.
-cost: most important, whether you are a king outfitting an army, or a
cottar wanting something better than a stick to protect your family, a
spear can be as cheap as a sharpened stick; at most, even a good spear is
short work for a simple Smith. Spears are expensive in materials and
manufacturing time.