[Runequest] Losing my edge.

Steve Perrin steve.perrin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:25:19 EST 2013

Actually, most war gear lasts a good long time if properly maintained
(see below). Swords are handed down from father to son because they
last. Mostly you replace gear because (1) you've acquired better
(perhaps off the body of a defeated foe) or (2) it has been broken or
lost in combat or other misadventure. This is iron or steel weaponry, of
course. Bronze weapons were very brittle. They kept a great edge but
they broke pretty much every battle.
And armor, if not maintained properly, might rot off your body. It's all
kept together by leather straps, and those need maintaining.
But if you maintain your gear and keep it from rotting or rusting, it
will pretty much last forever. That's why soldiers are trained in
maintaining their gear. These days, plastic and composite gear may well
have a shelf life, and ammunition certainly does, but back in the Iron
Age, arms and armor were built to last, even for the scrubs in the front
line.
Of course, if you load your conscripts with more gear than they want to
carry, it will get lost (read dropped by the side of the road) and may
need to be replaced. This was the case with the later legions of Rome.
You could see where the legion had gone by the trail of dropped off
helmets and inconvenient pieces of armor, and sometimes their weapons.

Steve Perrin