[Runequest] Losing my edge.

Gary Sturgess gazza666 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:06:37 EST 2013

To add a further question - how often do weapons and armour need to be
replaced? One thing virtually all RPGs do is assume that equipment pretty
much lasts forever - a reasonable abstraction for the PCs, but I've found
it frustrating once they start raising armies and the like (ie I don't mind
so much if Ye Olde Adventurers have equipment that never needs replacing,
but when every Johnny Soldier has the same advantage it starts to break my
suspension of disbelief).

On 11 April 2013 08:01, Steve Perrin <steve.perrin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Maintaining equipment is an important routine. That's why knights had
> squires.
>
> Seriously, at the very least your blades should be sharpened and perhaps
> oiled, your armor should be shaken out and bits and pieces straightened out
> and straps checked, and your shield checked to make sure the strapping is
> intact. Particularly urgent if you've been fighting all day, ignorable if
> nothing much has happened for a few days, but not so much as a week.
>
> A good workman maintains his tools.
>
> Steve Perrin
>

> On 4/10/2013 4:33 PM, Asher Royce Yaffee wrote:
>
> Hi, All,
>    I was wondering about bladed weapons and usage and sharpness.  If a
> blade gets used regularly, how often should one sharpen it?
>    I guess another way to put it is...
> A)  Before modern steel, how often would most civilians normally sharpen
> their blades?
> B)  To maintain full weapon damage, how often should a fighting adventurer
> sharpen his or her blades?  (Assume that every gaming session has a fight.)
> C)  Beyond simply hours of usage, what other factors make a difference?
>  For example, if Sir Gawain fights armored foes while brave Sir Robin
> fights unarmored foes, will Sir Robin's sword keep its edge noticeably
> longer?
> D)  I guess this leads to other maintenance questions.  Anything come to
> mind as worth pointing out?  Maybe oiling the blade?
>
>     Any and all answers are warmly welcome.
>    Sincerely,
> Asher

GAZZA