[Runequest] Flexible and hard armor together.

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 22:37:28 EST 2013

By an odd coincidence I was just at the truly amazing Higgins Armory in
Worcester, Massachusetts this weekend. It's a museum of medieval armor and
weapons (which tragically is going to close forever at the end of 2013).
And this very question came up at a demonstration.

Chainmail under plate was not practical due to weight considerations and
bulk. Patches of chain were used at certain strategic locations in many
suits of armor, where plate wasn't used for reasons such as mobility.

I learned a lot there. For example, I didn't know that a full suit of
combat plate could weigh as little as 30 pounds, and that a fully-armored
knight once did a triple somersault in midair! The suits that took forever
to put on and weighed a ridiculous amount were specifically for jousting -
which was, of course, a very limited activity with strict rules.

If you can possibly get to the Armory before they close, it's well worth
seeing. My son and his friend LOVED the place; they're both eleven. My wife
and I found it fascinating, too! Here's a link to a photosphere I took of
the third and fourth floors:

https://plus.google.com/101089108381539470202/posts/duCMmqjRZEt

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com