[Runequest] Flexible and hard armor together.

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 22:16:21 EST 2013

I spent a lot of time kludging house rules as to what could be layered, and
what couldn't, and finally ultimately agreed with how it's written (I'm
pretty sure) in the RQ6 rules: you simply can't.

Armor is actually a fairly complex system, that has to be flexible in some
places and inflexible in others for it to work.  I'm going to go with the
idea that armorers knew their business, and designed the armor for the best
level of protection possible while not inordinately hindering the wearer at
a given level of protection.

If someone INSISTS on wearing a 'heavy leather poncho' over their plate
armor or something, or trying to stuff a layer of chain/whatever under
plate armor, sure, give them another 1-2 points of protection but I'd
probably penalize physical activities - ie combat - a level of difficulty
per extra point of protection.  Sure, you can mummify yourself in bubble
wrap if you want, and you'll be safer...of course, you won't be able to
move, but you will on the simplest level resist blows better.