[Runequest] Fact check

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 00:54:47 EST 2013

Just a visualization:

He jumps. Realizes in a few minutes that he's not falling anywhere near as
fast as he expected. Then he notices that the ground is moving
sideways...faster and faster. Not so fast as to definitely kill him (after
all, the air is moving as fast as the Ringworld, or nearly so), but moving
nonetheless. I think that the parachute might not shred since gravity isn't
accelerating him (does that sound right), assuming that he was able to get
the damned thing on - which should be a challenge for a size 27 troll using
a chute designed for a normal-sized human paratrooper.

Oh yes, I should note: his SIZ is 27, not 37. My mistake. So he won't weigh
as much as we thought. On the other hand, full platemail, a greatsword, a
troll maul, and a very full backpack (and where's he going to keep that if
he manages to get the parachute on?) will probably bulk him up to at least
six or seven hundred pounds, I should think...possibly half a ton.

One way I think about this is if *I* found a parachute designed for a
hobbit...basically it's a large toy. No matter how I look at it, I think
he'd end up getting badly hurt! So...how much damage would the fall do,
with or without a successful Jump roll? And would some sort of "Parachute"
skill roll be necessary? I've never jumped, but I understand that the Bond
movies make it look easier than it actually is.

Of course, he doesn't HAVE parachute skill!

->Peter

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com