[Runequest] Magic spirit casts a spell

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:25:40 EST 2012

I just realized that hellions don't have POW! Which implies, possibly, that
they don't regenerate magic points. What are they, mercury vampires? That
doesn't work for me!

It also occurs to me that unless they have deadly spells, hellions CAN'T
KILL. Their drain attack is non-lethal, in fact effectively non-damaging.
Which makes requiring an overcome roll all the more unbalanced.

Personally I'm going to rule that A) no overcome roll is needed for the
drain attack, and B) hellions have the POW characteristic (3d6+6) and
regenerate MPs at the normal rate. They cannot draw on stored MPs for their
natural attack, although they CAN use stored MPs for spells of course. If
they are familiars they can, at their master's option, draw on the personal
(NOT stored) MPs of their master for their drain attack.

I like the idea of using INT to determine the SR of a spirit's attack. If a
spirit lacks INT, though...perhaps POW would do as a substitute.

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com