[Runequest] Hellions

Gerall Kahla games at gkahla.net
Mon Sep 24 23:40:15 EST 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Peter Maranci <pmaranci at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a difficult session today, with so much rules-lawyering that I felt
> as if I were playing D&D. I'm going to have to make some tough decisions,
> and I know that it's ultimately up to me, but there are two points I'd love
> to get feedback on. By the way, this campaign is based on the classic RQIII
> system; it's multi-genre and multi-world.

Sorry to read about your tantrum-throwing player (I read your G+ post). You
should confront him. He's disrupting the enjoyment you take from your game.
You, as GM, have the right to have fun in-game. Don't let him take that
away from you, dude...

Problem #1: Hellions. According to the rules, their natural energy drain
> attack takes place on SR1 and hits automatically. There's nothing in the
> description that says that an overcome roll or resistance roll is involved;
> they expend their MP, and the target loses 1d10 points of Fatigue per MP
> expended.

Sounds straightforward. 1d10 Fatigue / MP expended.
<snip>

> I also had to deal with the whole issue of overcoming and resistance. Is
> it MP vs. MP, or POW vs. POW? I feel stupid asking this, since I've been
> playing the system for so many years, but this became a huge point of
> contention - and the rules weren't clear. I suspect that it's MP vs. MP.

I've never been in a game where it was anything but MP v MP. In fact, in
one campaign, there was an artifact that allowed a Sorcerer to resist using
their POW that became the focus of a war between a nation and a magical
school, but that's another story.

If it were always POW v POW, the benefit of a RuneLord getting to defend at
full POW would be diminished.

Just my $0.02 USD...