[Runequest] Hellions

Ravi Desai rdesai at chartermi.net
Sun Sep 23 13:29:47 EST 2012

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear about the rules lawyering, that certainly can be draining from a GM perspective.

To answer your question about Hellions, I've used them in the past, and find them to be deliciously creepy.  I always thought their description in the rules to be quite straightforward, they drain d10 fatigue on SR 1, and there isn't much you can do about it.  I tend to use that attack in conjunction with some illusion, demoralize, or fear spell to confuse, frighten, exhaust, and demoralize.

I don't really use them in direct combat. Their (initially) ridiculously high armor points make them difficult to harm with anything other than a spell, but they don't too last long, anyway.  Once the party figures out what I'm doing, someone launches a strong area effect spell and knocks them down enough that they can be taken out.

Your players may see Hellions as slightly overbalanced (and they could be if they were outfitted with strong sorcery magic that prevented spells from harming them).  But honestly, I just used them as creepy little hazers, and have never had anyone get too upset about their ability to fatigue them without some kind of roll required.  If it's all part of the story, it's all good.

-Ravi

Sent from my iPad