[Runequest] Hellions

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 10:06:42 EST 2012

I had a difficult session today, with so much rules-lawyering that I felt
as if I were playing D&D. I'm going to have to make some tough decisions,
and I know that it's ultimately up to me, but there are two points I'd love
to get feedback on. By the way, this campaign is based on the classic RQIII
system; it's multi-genre and multi-world.

Problem #1: Hellions. According to the rules, their natural energy drain
attack takes place on SR1 and hits automatically. There's nothing in the
description that says that an overcome roll or resistance roll is involved;
they expend their MP, and the target loses 1d10 points of Fatigue per MP
expended.

I'm getting a lot of rules-lawyering, arguments that there should be a
resistance roll because the sorcery Drain spell was mentioned in the
Hellion write-up (something like "they can learn sorcery spells, but don't
learn Drain for obvious reasons"). The effect is a natural one, does not
take time to cast the way that the Drain spell does, and does 1d10 rather
than 1d6 points of drain. If you've handled hellions in the past, how have
you dealt with their attacks?

I also had to deal with the whole issue of overcoming and resistance. Is it
MP vs. MP, or POW vs. POW? I feel stupid asking this, since I've been
playing the system for so many years, but this became a huge point of
contention - and the rules weren't clear. I suspect that it's MP vs. MP.

In any case, these are basically side-issues. I'll have to deal with the
more substantive issues of inter-group dynamics on my own, I fear.

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com