[Runequest] Magic spirit casts a spell

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Wed Sep 19 17:34:26 EST 2012

On 19/09/2012, at 3:07 PM, Marko Perälä wrote:

> Here's an RQ3 question: When a magic spirit casts a spell (spirit or sorcery) - let's say Protection 4, for sake of argument - at what SR does the spell goes of? Divine spells activate at SR 1, but according to Deluxe rulebook other kinds of spells the SR is determined by formula: DEX SR + Spell's magic points. However, the scale ends at DEX 1, there's no value for DEX 0 or N/A. A magic spirit (or a ghost or a wraith or a hellion etc.) does not have DEX. Does that mean the DEX SR component is ignored and SR is just spell's MPs or does the spirit start casting at the end of melee round and completes on the next one?

	I'd be ok with this just being a default 0 SR +MPs if the spirit is 'ready' to cast the spell. No reason why spirits shouldn't be fast at casting spells.
	Most spirits are going to only cast spells if directly ordered to, though.

> A corollary to this is a magic spirit in an enchantment that the owner orders to cast a spell. How much extra time does it take for the spirit to actually start casting the spell? Maybe at the beginning of the next melee round or perhaps immediately after receiving the order?

	I'd treat this as the spell having to be 'prepared' in response to the order, which is 3SRs. So if a spirits is ordered to cast a Befuddle spell at SR 1, it goes off at 1+3 + MPs = SR 6.

> A second corollary to this is casting a second spell in a melee round e.g. first Light(1) and then Speedart(1). Can a magic spirit do that or would it have wait to the next melee round? Again magic spirit does not have DEX, so it doesn't have have a DEX SR. A second spell cast in a melee round follows 3 SR after the first and requires it's own SR's. If DEX SR was ignored then that would mean SR 1 (Light(1)) / 5 (Speedart(1)).
>
> How would you handle/have you handled this issue?

	Yep. Which would potentially mean a spirit could cast three spells in a round if it did nothing else and the spell MPs added to less than 4 (3 Disruptions?).
	Cheers
		David