[Runequest] RQ3 - protecting another character from attacks

Phil Hibbs snarks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 22:12:51 EST 2012

I think the solution in the first case is, the bodyguard should have
stopped the attacker from getting into range by engaging the attacker.
If the bodyguard is standing next to the target, and the attacker is
in melee range of the target, then I'd say it's going to be hard to
intercept an attack from an odd angle.

In the second example, the spirit would develop a parry skill that is
dedicated to the purpose at hand and doesn't have an inconvenient body
of its own to manoeuver around, so it's actually a much easier
situation. As to whether it needs some form of visual perception
ability such as Project Sight is up to the GM to decide on the innate
abilities of a Magic Spirit familiar which is an unusual case and has
no precedent that I am aware of.

On 05/09/2012, Marko Perälä <perala at student.uef.fi> wrote:
> RQ3 question: Can a character parry an attack targeted at someone else
> (assuming he's close enough to reach)?
> Let's say that a character is going to be attacked and cannot or won't dodge
> or parry the attack himself, but an ally is nearby and free to act. Can the
> ally intercept the incoming attack?
>
> Now that we have established a basic situation, let's move to a more
> specific example. Let's say there is a sorcerer, who has made a familiar
> from e.g. a magic spirit that is bound into a shield and is flying around
> its master using Fly-spell. Could the shield familiar protect it's master by
> parrying attacks targeted at him on his behalf thus allowing him to
> concentrate on spell casting?

Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?