[Runequest] RQ3 - protecting another character from attacks

lev at rpgreview.net lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Sep 5 22:07:04 EST 2012

> RQ3 question: Can a character parry an attack targeted at someone else
> (assuming he's close enough to reach)?
> Let's say that a character is going to be attacked and cannot or won't
> dodge or parry the attack himself, but an ally is nearby and free to act.
> Can the ally intercept the incoming attack?

Yes and yes. There is nothing that I see on the "How To Parry" section
(p47 Deluxe) that says that a character can only parry attacks aimed at
them.

> Now that we have established a basic situation, let's move to a more
> specific example. Let's say there is a sorcerer, who has made a familiar
> from e.g. a magic spirit that is bound into a shield and is flying around
> its master using Fly-spell. Could the shield familiar protect it's master
> by parrying attacks targeted at him on his behalf thus allowing him to
> concentrate on spell casting?

Yes, and a very good use of a familiar. Of course, keeping in mind that
the spirit if it parries blows aimed the sorcerer will not have any
parries left to protect itself...