[Runequest] Game balance in different editions

Styopa styopa1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:24:33 EST 2012

I think it's also worth pointing out in re:simulationism (real or
purported)  that real life isn't balanced whatsoever.  Any effort toward
balance in a system as a goal unto itself is inherently non-simulationist.

Maybe it makes me an ass of a dm, but I will often not 'plan' an adventure
with a solution in mind; sometimes it's just fun to hand the characters a
situation with known and unknown parameters like real life, and let them
face it.  Sometimes there is no solution.  Whether that remains fun depends
in how well you reward then by allowing character growth despite failure
too, again like real life imo.