[Runequest] Game balance in different editions

Phil Hibbs snarks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 00:34:48 EST 2012

lev:
> Balance by aggregation: This is where I go into my weird mode and suggest
> that RQ3 sorcerers were balanced, but in aggregate. Rather like their D&D
> equivalents they were not very handy at low-power levels (they were
> underpowered) but quite powerful at high levels (they were overpowered).
> In aggregate they are balanced, but at any one point in time they are not
> balanced with their peers.

That's the classic statistician joke - "My head is in the oven and my
feet are in the freezer, so on average I'm perfectly comfortable".

A huge swing of power level at a particular point in character
progression is the very definition of "unbalanced".

Phil.
--
Don't you just hate self-referential sigs?