[Runequest] Gloranthan Gazetteer

Simon Phipp soltakss at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 05:15:17 EST 2012

A bit late to the party, but never mind ...

Marko Perala:

> Ah, Glorantha. I'm getting progressively weary of Glorantha. Okay, let's do this. (engage rant mode)

We all love a Glorantha rant.

> All those blank lands and the greatest blank land of all - the future.

Blank Lands died a death ages ago - they were once a good idea, then a bad idea and now don't exist.

> I didn't intend to mention Glorantha, but one thing really bugs me: The history ends at ST 1624. Nothing
> happens after that, except some vague notions in King of Sartar and one measly prophesy per area.
> In Fronela elfs rule and Kingdom of war takes on Loskalm. In Ralios Arkat returns in 5 forms for some
> reason not explained and Seshnela fights Pasos, oooookayy...

There's actually a lot of stuff written post 1624. The Sartar Rising campaign is all post 1624, there are references to future events in a number of the newer HQ Gloranthan supplements, with key events in Dragon Pass and Prax being detailed for a few years in the future. The events leading up to the Boatrise and the Dragonrise have been described and some have been outlined in scenario form.

> That's all I've read about Glorantha past ST 1624 that wasn't all about Red emperor vs. Argrath. One would
> think that after some quarter of century someone, somewhere had a little more to say on the subject. I really hope
> this gets corrected in RQ6.

It has been corrected, you might be reading older material.

> I'm not asking a full history from here to eternity, just a few stories from each gloranthan area to give some idea
> of general events. What nations go to war and what make peace? Who invents a new revolutionary magic or
> technology and what it does to surrounding society? Who gets assasinated or deposed? What area suffers chaos
> infestations or famines or disease epidemics? What new sects are born and which ones clash? What about racial
> tensions or diplomatic insidents? Then, this being Glorantha, what mysterious miracles or cataclysms happen that
> awe/scare people?

A lot of this is out there, but you have to hunt around a bit. Most of the stuff I have seen is for Dragon Pass/Prax, but that's OK for me as I am mainly interested in those areas.

> How about a magazine that describes one year in Glorantha in each number - Gloranthan gazetteer ST 1625,
> Gloranthan gazetteer ST 1626, Gloranthan gazetteer ST 1627, etc. How about "Merchants tales ST 1625" or
> "Lhankor files ST 1625", each issue giving a few pages on each area of Glorantha (Fronela, Ralios, Seshnela,
> Maniria, Jrustela, Kralorela, Pamaltela, Peloria, Desert, Dragon pass). Maybe some eyewitness accounts on
> important events combined with more general list of events.

New editions of the new version of Wyrms Footprints might contain such information, hopefully.

See Ya

Simon