[Runequest] Drastically simplifying RuneQuest

Tomas Björklund tomas.g.bjorklund at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 02:28:52 EST 2012

Before I go on, I wrote my reply before I read Gary's, but it seems we
are on the same page here.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:17 PM, grogthing <grogthing at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't see this as an attempt at narrative roleplaying, a detailed
> simulation can still go on behind the curtain, out of sight of the players.

Quite true.

I have read the article and it seems important to the author to
completely hide the system, which would lead to removal of any gamism
from the players perspective.

Whatever simulationism remains will be entirely free form. I think it
matters little that the game is heavily simulationist from the GM
perspective, since the players have no interaction with the system
anyway. Indeed the GM could toss the entire system out the window and
only make rolls now and then behind the screen, and make things up as
he goes, and it would be all the same to the players.

This leaves the narrative element, and the article seems to drive
heavily into the narrative camp. E.g. He says amongst other things
"... the “arc” form; in this form, there is a definite beginning,
middle, and end, with both long-term and short-term goals for the
party as a whole and for each individual party member", and "...
players should conceive of their characters as if they were someone
from a book, or a movie, or even a TV show – as someone with a
history, with drives, desires, and fears ..."

Anyway that was how I read his article. You may come to a different conclusion.

Tom.