[Runequest] Drastically simplifying RuneQuest

Tomas Björklund tomas.g.bjorklund at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 00:40:05 EST 2012

It sounds to me that you are trying to design a new game, a narrative
roleplaying system, and what you call sheetless RPG is to my ears
another word for narrative, possibly freeform rpg play.

When you say "Any system can theoretically be used for a sheetless
game, but RuneQuest is particularly well-suited to it because it maps
so well to the real world.", I must say my experience is exactly the
opposite to yours. I find RQ particularily ill suited to narrative
gaming because of its simulationist bent, and heavy reliance on
detailed mechanics.

Runequest to me is a simulationist old school system, and I mean "old
school" in a affectionate and positive way, which we love to play when
we feel a craving for really crunchy gaming in Glorantha.

There is a huge amount of work done within the roleplaying field, the
last decade or so, when it comes to narrative games. There are a lot
of very well designed narrative systems out there that do exactly what
you set out to do, amongst them Heroquest/Herowars. I myself favor the
FATE system, and have made an adaption for Glorantha which works very
well for my game group.

I would recommend you go in that direction instead of trying to adapt
RQ into a role I think it ill suited to fill.

- Tom