[Runequest] Familiars

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Sat Oct 13 06:04:07 EST 2012

On 12/10/2012, at 2:37 AM, Peter Maranci wrote:

> An excellent point! It also brings up the issue of the differences between the RuneQuest *system*, and the setting-bias that the system has towards the world of Glorantha. A world in which inanimate objects such as rings and tables can be animated and turned into familiars would be very different from a world in which only living creatures can be! The implied power levels are quite different, too.

	The power levels of Gloranthan sorcery was supposed to be quite high, but I never assumed that this was supposed to be just reflected in the sorcery rules - rather, huge acts of sorcery (from Zzabur sinking a continent on down) were heroquests performed by sorcerers.
	Though you could make an argument based on the idea of a POW economy that RQ3 sorcerous cultures should have had a LOT of magic items lying about - Priests used any gains in POW for divine magic, shamans used any POW gains for their fetch, but sorcerers (who presumably got about as many POW gain rolls as anybody) used it for what? Presumably, magic item creation. Probably not major items, just things like spell matrices so they could free up Free INT and MP matrices. But over the centuries, a major sorcerous order would presumably accumulate a LOT of this stuff.

> Although the integration of Glorantha with early iterations of the RuneQuest system gave RQ a unique quality, that setting also *hampered* future iterations of the system by forcing them into Gloranthan-specific concepts - particularly of magic. The simplicity of the RQ system allows a huge variety of possible magic systems to be used, suitable for a staggering range of different settings and concepts...but I suspect that most RQ games still tend to use the same old spirit magic and divine magic. Yes, there are alternate systems out there (I've even written a couple), but it would be nice to see a large-scale project to create and collect many more working alternate magic systems for the RQ family of games.

	I always felt it was as much Glorantha integrating itself with the idiosyncracies of the sorcery rules as the other way around!
	Things like the animated objects familiars, or turning nymphs etc into familiars (always a very effective option) seemed more a rules artifact than a Gloranthan one.