[Runequest] Alternatives to POW sacrifice for magic item creation

Steve Perrin steve.perrin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 03:58:57 EST 2012

Having actually played Swordbearer, I can say that it has one of more
unique magic systems. At first glance, it looks intolerably feeble. Then
you realize that there is no saving throw, ever. If the magician says
bang, then you take damage. Not fatal damage, as a rule, but if half the
party knows magic, which is not at all unlikely, then even the biggest
monster is just so much meat.

The magic activation involves very minor previous quests to obtain the
right materials, which are as bountiful as the GM allows. These quests
can involve something as simple as making a Notice (or whatever the term
is in Swordbearer) roll to see that the flowers you need are growing by
the side of the road.

Steve Perrin