[Runequest] Alternatives to POW sacrifice for magic item creation

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 15:32:21 EST 2012

That's funny, I've never heard of Swordbearer! Since I was gaming in the
80s, I thought I'd heard of them all. I'll have to dig up my copy of Heroic
Worlds and see if it's listed.

It occurs to me that one thing that players value quite a bit is training
time. Perhaps *that* would be a good alternative requirement for
enchantments. If it took, say, 250 hours, plus a high but not impossibly
expensive cost for materials (or alternatively quests to get rare items) to
create an enchantment equivalent to a 1 POW sacrifice, would that tend to
frighten off players? 100 hours seems to me to be too low a number. Of
course, no other actions could be taken during the enchanting process. And
if the enchanting roll was failed, the time would be lost...although in
that case I would probably allow some sort of a luck roll to determine how
much of the material components were destroyed, if any.

->Peter

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com