[Runequest] Familiars

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:04:29 EST 2012

<<Although the integration of Glorantha with early iterations of the
RuneQuest system gave RQ a unique quality, that setting also
*hampered* future iterations of the system by forcing them into
Gloranthan-specific concepts - particularly of magic.>>

I agree. Magic needed to be freed from its more overt Gloranthan
tropes, and this was part of the design intention behind both MRQII
and RQ6. The four main magic systems: battle/spirit, animism, divine
and sorcery were rebuilt with the intention of creating more flexible
and adaptable systems whilst retaining the ability to model Glorantha
if needed.

<<The simplicity of the RQ system allows a huge variety of possible
magic systems to be used, suitable for a staggering range of different
settings and concepts...but I suspect that most RQ games still tend to
use the same old spirit magic and divine magic. Yes, there are
alternate systems out there (I've even written a couple), but it would
be nice to see a large-scale project to create and collect many more
working alternate magic systems for the RQ family of games.>>

We'd like to think we've done this with RQ6. All the magic systems
have been remodelled and tweaked with versatility in mind. We've also
added Mysticism too. All five of the RQ6 magic systems take their cues
from RQII and RQIII but treat them very differently.

On the question of familiars and enchantments, RQ6 has several spells
that can be used and combined for familiar creation. We've created
separate spells to distinguish between sapient and sentient creatures
and they do not rely on expending characteristic points to make them
work. For enchantments, magic items can be created with the Enchant
spell which locks-in Magic Points (not POW) to maintain the magical
effects. If a sorcerer decides to release the enchanted item, his
Magic Points are unlocked and once again available. The cost is high
for the sorcerer, but in return he gets a perpetual enchantment - and
without having to sacrifice characteristic points of any kind to do
so.

--
Will there be time enough and World for me to sing that song?