[Runequest] Familiars

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 05:37:59 EST 2012

An excellent point! It also brings up the issue of the differences between
the RuneQuest *system*, and the setting-bias that the system has towards
the world of Glorantha. A world in which inanimate objects such as rings
and tables can be animated and turned into familiars would be very
different from a world in which only living creatures can be! The implied
power levels are quite different, too.

Although the integration of Glorantha with early iterations of the
RuneQuest system gave RQ a unique quality, that setting also *hampered*
future iterations of the system by forcing them into Gloranthan-specific
concepts - particularly of magic. The simplicity of the RQ system allows a
huge variety of possible magic systems to be used, suitable for a
staggering range of different settings and concepts...but I suspect that
most RQ games still tend to use the same old spirit magic and divine magic.
Yes, there are alternate systems out there (I've even written a couple),
but it would be nice to see a large-scale project to create and collect
many more working alternate magic systems for the RQ family of games.

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com