[Runequest] Alternatives to POW sacrifice for magic item creation

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:56:39 EST 2012

Actually, that reminds me of another point I've been pondering lately: the
use of alternate power sources for enchantments.

Please note, that's "power", *not* "POW". I can't speak for anyone else,
but the mechanism of sacrificing characteristic POW to make enchantments
always struck me as drastic - at least from a character perspective. Give
up a piece of my *soul*? For a relatively puny magic item? There are times
when that might be worth it, but given the circumstances, that was almost
never a choice I was willing to make.

Consider:

1. POW can often mean the difference between life and death for an
adventurer.

2. In order to increase POW (or effectively replace POW which has been
sacrificed to make magic items), a character must either get into combat
situations (which must be, by definition, hazardous) OR be an officiating
priest on a high holy day. There may be other "slow" ways of increasing
POW, but none of these is likely to offer more than one or two POW gain
rolls per year, as I understand it. And, of course, POW gain rolls often
fail.

The result? In the 28 years that I've been playing and GMing RuneQuest III,
I can count the number of times that I've seen a player create a matrix on
the fingers of one hand. Unless my experience is a far outlier, I have to
conclude that this means there's a hole in the system.

I'm not saying that the POW for enchantment system is *broken*. What I'm
saying is that the cost is too high, and that there's a need for a
supplemental system - one which allows magic items to be created using
*outside resources*.

Okay, yes, you're right: You don't want to make magic item creation too
easy or painless. In most campaigns, that could lead to abuse. But surely
there are ways to make magic item creation sufficiently costly and
time-consuming that it won't be abused, but also won't be almost totally
avoided? In Chivalry & Sorcery, it was possible to harvest rare and magical
materials, enchant them (a very time-consuming process), and use them to
create magic items. Why couldn't we include a subsystem like that in the RQ
family of games?

Humans make use of their environments. We discover and exploit natural
resources. It only seems reasonable that in a world which includes magic,
magicians would exploit *supernatural* resources. These could include
spirits, rare materials (rune metals spring to mind), rare gems, parts from
unusual creatures, etc.. A time factor should be included as well; creation
of a magic item from outside resources should take time and work, at least
a month of work per POW point equivalent. That could be an advantage of
creating magic items with POW, incidentally. Using POW allows near-instant
creation, while using outside resources takes far longer.

It would be incumbent on the GM to make sure that the costs of creating a
magic item were never trivial. But such a system would at least make
creating magic items a practical possibility rather than a rare and
desperate option. It could also be a handy way to generate adventures:
expeditions to acquire rare items or kill rare beasts, for example!

What do you think, sirs?

->Peter