[Runequest] Familiars

Peter Maranci pmaranci at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:43:49 EST 2012

Let the hijacking begin! Well, just a little. :D

Personally, the whole idea of sacrificing characteristic points to create a
familar has always bothered me a LOT. First off, it makes the idea of
creating a familiar out of anything which lacks INT *insane*. And the idea
of shrinking, or getting clumsier, etc. to make a familiar *also* seems
stupid.

(I hope this wasn't one of Steve Perrin's ideas - if so, sorry Steve! But
I'll bet he didn't create this mechanism. It doesn't *feel* like one of his
ideas, somehow).

For my own high-level campaigns, I use a modified Create Familiar spell. It
requires the sacrifice of POW, *not* other characteristics. Depending on
the game, the spell might require only one point of POW, or points of POW
may convert directly into other characteristics for the familiar. A
sorcerer may only have one familiar at a time, however.

Peter Maranci - pmaranci at gmail.com