[Runequest] [Fwd: RQIII Magical Trap / Spell Mix]

Tony Den postmaster at runequest.za.org
Tue May 29 22:05:29 EST 2012

----------------
Recently I had my party discover a sorceress in a pillar of semi liquid
amber in an ancient ruin. The sorceress appeared to be alive and after a
bit of playing they rescued her. The concept was inspired by the old
Greyhawk Mika Trilogy books by Rose Estes - where the main character gets
stuck in a similar device for decades. But then I got to thinking how
would this work rules wise. So I came up with this bit of designers fiat -
maybe someone else will find it useful:

Note: The trap would have to have some sort of powerful matrix built into
it or to draw from. In my game the matrix was actually a statue and the
appearance was that it was hiding something under it. By moving the statue
and getting onto its plinth, the trap was activated.

1.      Holdfast - Powerful holdfast is cast to keep the victim in place.
2.      Once held fast - a binding enchantment is enacted to bind victim
to plinth.
3.      Form set flesh - House rule here but the idea was to bind victims
spirit and then literally turn them into an amber statue. Another option
would be a spell based on the petrifying gaze of a gorgon.
4.      Immortality or Youth - An extra option to keep the victim young
and prolong their suffering.

Then per the pillar or amber idea, what I thought is have the sorceress
cast a skin of life - possibly as a mistake fearing some other spell - and
this reacts with the petrifaction thus rather creating a shelled cocoon
with liquid/gel interior.

I probably used a bit of poetic license, but the result worked. Only
problem is thee party now has a 1000 year old sorceress who doesn't speak
any known language in tow.

Cheers
Tony

Standard Bank email disclaimer and confidentiality note
Please go to
http://www.standardbank.co.za/site/homepage/emaildisclaimer.html to read
our email disclaimer and confidentiality note. Kindly email
disclaimer at standardbank.co.za (no content or subject line necessary) if
you cannot view that page and we will email our email disclaimer and
confidentiality note to you.