[Runequest] Spears stuck in shields?

lev at rpgreview.net lev at rpgreview.net
Wed Jul 11 20:43:01 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

>    I didn't expect such a good response.  A plethora of pilum proposals.
> Thank you all.
>    I'm still curious about how likely it is that a thrown spear or javelin
> would get stuck in a shield, but I'll just make it up for now.  (As
> long as I appear to know what I'm doing, my kids won't fuss too much
> about it.)

Making it up is always a GM's option :)

How often? Well, I think there's two simple methods.

a) The attacker *aims* for the shield. Whilst RQ3 suggests half value and
attack as SR 10, I would suggest instead the following... :

Buckler (Shield Arm) -45%
Target/Heater (Shield Arm + 1 location) -35%
Hoplite/Kite/Round etc (Shield Arm +2 locations) -25%

b) The defender parries with the shield successfully, but the damage is
more than half of the shield AP or the hit is a special/impale.

Once stuck modify the parrying ability of the shield by -25% per pilum and
reduce the number of ability to protect by one category. e.g., a Hoplite
shield becomes as effective as a Target shield with one pila, as a buckler
with two etc.

Excellent conversation everyone,

Lev