[Runequest] Spears stuck in shields?

Steve Perrin steve.perrin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 10:08:56 EST 2012

I'd say that a thrown thrusting spear might stay impaled in a shield it
was aimed at. As would a javelin. The point (if you will pardon the pun)
about a pilum is that the long iron shaft is a bugger to get out of an
impaled shield. The wooden haft of a spear or Javelin can be chopped
away fairly quickly. Removing a pilum is a multi-minute task, possibly
involving heavy tools.

As long as the spear or javelin is sticking in the shield, however, it
should probably have the same effect as the pilum.

Steve Perrin