[Runequest] Spears stuck in shields?

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Jul 10 01:55:01 EST 2012

On 09/07/2012, at 11:45 PM, royce at efn.org wrote:

> Hi, Guys,
>   My boys and I were playing a little RQ last weekend.  Their legionary
> characters were defending the walls of their fort from a Gallic
> uprising (the players' little corner of Vercingetorix vs. Caesar), and
> were throwing pilums down at the assaulting Gauls.
>   According to the RQ3 rules we're playing by, a shield with 2 points of
> encumberance (i.e., a pilum) hanging from it becomes a lot less useful.
> This brought up a question.
>   How often does a thrown javelin bounce off a wooden shield, or at least
> come off the shield easily, and how often does it seriously stick in?
> Would the javelin usually stick in pretty well?  Or should I only count
> it for impaling attacks?

	Normally I'd say that this was too much detail, but for Roman Legionarries this was actually the intent of the design of the pilum - they assumed the initial throw would be parried, but would stick in the shield rendering it clumsy and useless, ready for assault with the gladius - it sounds like it should work more often, perhaps on any pilum throw that penetrates the AP of the shield.

>   Actually, while I'm here, I have a third question.  Would anyone care
> to share their opinions on Avalon Hill RQ box sets of Vikings and
> Ninjas?

	Both boxed sets are very well done, with plenty of good background info, and the appropriate rules stuff is very well done. Always liked the way Land of Ninja did Ki skills. Both are definitely worth getting.
	Cheers
		David