[Runequest] Spears stuck in shields?

royce at efn.org royce at efn.org
Tue Jul 10 01:45:09 EST 2012

Hi, Guys,
   My boys and I were playing a little RQ last weekend.  Their legionary
characters were defending the walls of their fort from a Gallic
uprising (the players' little corner of Vercingetorix vs. Caesar), and
were throwing pilums down at the assaulting Gauls.
   According to the RQ3 rules we're playing by, a shield with 2 points of
encumberance (i.e., a pilum) hanging from it becomes a lot less useful.
 This brought up a question.
   How often does a thrown javelin bounce off a wooden shield, or at least
come off the shield easily, and how often does it seriously stick in?
Would the javelin usually stick in pretty well?  Or should I only count
it for impaling attacks?

   While I'm at it, I have a second question.  Would pilums, short spears,
and long spears have the same maximum throwing range as their lighter
cousins, the javelins?  (In RQ3, javelin effective range is 20 meters,
and max is 50 meters.)

   Actually, while I'm here, I have a third question.  Would anyone care
to share their opinions on Avalon Hill RQ box sets of Vikings and
Ninjas?

   Any and all guidance, shared experience, feedback, or tangents are
welcome.  Many thanks ahead of time.

   Sincerely,
Asher

P.S.  Lev, if you're reading this, thanks for your info about the coliseum
stuff.