[Runequest] Traveling Nutrition

Steve Davies sdavies2720 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 11 06:31:10 EST 2012

According to Stephen Ambrose, in writing about the Lewis & Clark expedition in _Undaunted Courage_, "Moving the keelboat and pirogues upriver required tremendous effort for each man; consequently, they ate prodigiously.  In comparison with beef, the venison and elk were lean, even at this season.  Each soldier consumed up to nine pounds of meat per day, along with whatever fruit the area afforded and some cornmeal, and still felt hungry."

That's probably an extreme case at the other end of the range, but it's instructive depending on the task at hand.

Steve