[Runequest] Happy New Year and a question.

Ravindranath Desai rdesai at chartermi.net
Mon Jan 9 22:00:39 EST 2012

Happy New Year!

I think this is a terrific idea.  We do this on a regular basis.  In fact, we have house rules where your ability (or inability) to get fresh food at night affects your fatigue for the next day.  It starts to wear on you when all you are eating is rations.  As GM I have both random monster encounters as you travel across country for days at a time, as well as wildlife, flora, and fauna.

Anyone who has regional Lore can know for certain where to find edible plants and what wildlife is in the area.  Otherwise, they are just guessing.  A successful Lore skill will tell you what plants you can eat and where they grow, so you can just be on the lookout all day as you travel.  Depending on the time of year (which I generally just move with the current actual season outdoors) edible flora may be highly available or not available at all.  Without a successful Lore skill, you can always stop to pick something that _looks_ edible, but we produced a table to roll on and those mushrooms might just make you really sick.  After spending enough time in a region, you naturally acquire a Lore skill for that region.

If you are looking to acquire small game, we use a trapping (mechanisms) skill, which is made difficult unless you know what you are trapping for (or impossible if there is no small game, or if you don't have any bait, etc).   Again a Lore skill for the region will tell you what small game exists in the area.   Fishing is always possible in streams; we use the trapping skill for that as well, but you could make a another fishing skill if you wanted.

Large game (deer sized or bigger, once a buffalo) I treat as a monster encounter, and the adventurers need to plan it carefully or the animal may well escape into the protection of the herd.  Meat from large game can be treated to last for several days; either just cured with salt [survival skill] or by using magic.  Small game (including fish) can be also used as bait, as can flora from the region (depending upon what you find).

Essentially, the rule is that you overland speed can be almost cut in half if you just ride and eat rations, but you will be fatigued when you get there.  Have fun with it - I think it adds a lot to the story line part of things, and give the adventurers a reason to roll play some other skills along the way.