[Runequest] Query re RQ6

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Mon Dec 10 20:12:23 EST 2012

Yes, you can do it, but I'm not sure it would work that well. A lot of things are 'calibrated' differently in the two systems besides the magic.

For example, all through RQ6 there are less ways to enhance weapon damage, with most spells (Truesword, Enhance Damage etc) only pushing damage up as far as max damage (in contrast to RQ3 Truesword, which can double weapon damage) and protection spells generally do not stack with armour, and Folk Magic is also very weak compared to RQ3 Spirit Magic (effectively all spells are 1pt spells). so in general both damage amounts and protection are lower - and this is also in the general rules, in particular lower damage bonuses.
So basically, if you used RQ6 magic and RQ3 rules, I think you would find that damage bonuses etc were out of step with other aspect of the game, and became much more significant than they were in either game (without the option of either protection spells to counter them, or strong damage enhancing spells to compensate for their lack).

Also, personally, I have no idea why you would want to - the RQ6 rules seem far more fun and flexible for skills use and combat etc. than RQ3. I could see a case for the other way around - RQ6 rules and RQ3 magic - because that at least makes for easier compatibility with older supplements etc and takes out most of the work of converting older RQ3 material - there would still be big game balance calibration issues (for example, a lot of RQ3 magic heavily enhances skills %ages (eg Fanaticism or Berserk), but that is a very rare and powerful ability in RQ6), but at least the payoff for those problems seems bigger!

	Cheers
		David