[Runequest] RQ III Sorcery Skills: Speedcast and Multitarget

Ashley Munday aescleal at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 31 16:16:44 EST 2012

Hi Peter,

I haven't run RQ for years now, but when I did we used Multispell exactly as you outlined but without a cap. So the sorcerer could target as many targets as they had MP or SR for with the cost of the combined spell being equal to the largest single spell cost + 1 per spell cast.

The variant I used for speeding up casting was allowing a caster to have the first couple of levels of most manipulations for free. We knocked off the (smaller of manipulation skill or spell skill) / 20 from the MP cost. This made high level sorcerers able to cast faster, cheaper and kept the whole "1 MP = 1SR" aesthetic that the rest of the rules have. Worked great for us. Your Multispell variant sound okay though - I'd just introduce it but reserve the right to change it if the sorcerer suddenly becomes the best thing since sliced bread.

Cheers,

Ash