[Runequest] Literate Neolithics?

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Fri Aug 31 01:19:59 EST 2012

On 30/08/2012, at 4:23 PM, lev at rpgreview.net wrote:

>> Umm, well to be blunt about it, who cares?
>
> Well, people with a social simulationist creative agenda care a great deal.

	RQ6 is designed to cater to many different styles of play, and social simulationist is only one of them.

	In Glorantha, where I suspect many players will set their games, it is not at all unusual for particular cultures to depart from standard real sociological patterns, due to magical intervention, or interaction between cultures that might not likely coexist without magical justification. Maybe real world cultures did not have full time wise folk, but real world cultures don't have anywhere near as many magical threats to deal with either.
	The same is likely true for many other fantasy settings. Maybe the anthropology isn't great, but I don't think we need it in the generic rulesbook. For a particular setting that needs it, by all means try to capture as much nuance of modern scholarship as is appropriate.
	Cheers
		David