[Runequest] Literate Neolithics?

Lawrence Whitaker lawrence.whitaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:24:19 EST 2012

Erm...

Lev, might be a good idea to read the Scholar profession description on
page 46. It says:

'Neither are they dependent on literacy to learn; some scholars memorise
and hand down their knowledge orally.'

Literacy, page 72, also says 'Literacy does not necessarily imply writing;
there are an infinite number of ways to convey information'.

We were very careful and deliberate in how we chose cultures, professions,
and phrased skills, so that we could encompass what you see as potential
inaccuracies.

Thanks,

Loz

On 29 August 2012 21:54, <lev at rpgreview.net> wrote:

> Hi Runequesters,
>

> Well, I've almost finished wading through the *huge* document that is
> RuneQuest 6th edition and there's one particular thing that has stuck in
> my maw over the past few weeks... The professions for those available from
> Primitive cultures (actually I feel the same about some of the others as
> well).
>
> What really caught my attention was in character generation when a player
> decided that they want to be a "Primitive Scholar". OK, that's a little
> weird... But then when they selected their professional skills and chose
> "Literacy", I had to say 'no' (much to their chagrin).
>
> Historically, writing only developed around c3200 BCE. Arguably around
> 6000 BCE there was some proto-writing glyphs, but even that is not in the
> realm of the neolithic, which is what the primitive cultures represent.
>
> Indeed, as a whole, I must confess that the only edition of RQ which has
> struck me as getting the social formation side of things "just right" is
> the 3rd edition, where they were introduced.
>
> I'd love to know who was the clever person who pretty much lifted Lewis
> Morgan's model of social development (albeit splitting barbarism with
> nomadism) and transplanted it to the RQ system. :)
>
> All the best,
>
> Lev

Will there be time enough and World for me to sing that song?