[Runequest] Literate Neolithics?

lev at rpgreview.net lev at rpgreview.net
Thu Aug 30 11:54:31 EST 2012

Hi Runequesters,

Well, I've almost finished wading through the *huge* document that is
RuneQuest 6th edition and there's one particular thing that has stuck in
my maw over the past few weeks... The professions for those available from
Primitive cultures (actually I feel the same about some of the others as
well).

What really caught my attention was in character generation when a player
decided that they want to be a "Primitive Scholar". OK, that's a little
weird... But then when they selected their professional skills and chose
"Literacy", I had to say 'no' (much to their chagrin).

Historically, writing only developed around c3200 BCE. Arguably around
6000 BCE there was some proto-writing glyphs, but even that is not in the
realm of the neolithic, which is what the primitive cultures represent.

Indeed, as a whole, I must confess that the only edition of RQ which has
struck me as getting the social formation side of things "just right" is
the 3rd edition, where they were introduced.

I'd love to know who was the clever person who pretty much lifted Lewis
Morgan's model of social development (albeit splitting barbarism with
nomadism) and transplanted it to the RQ system. :)

All the best,

Lev