[Runequest] Shields

royce at efn.org royce at efn.org
Tue Sep 6 04:17:44 EST 2011

Hi, Guys,
   Well, I've never carried a shield around for more than a few minutes at
a time, but I'm sure I'd hate to go shopping with one.
   As for a sword swinging around on my hip, well, it looks really cool in
the movies, but mine always flopped around a bit.  Also, when around
non-combatants, I had to develop the habit of sitting or turning around
conscientiously so I wouldn't knock over stuff, catch on dresses, or
otherwise annoy people.
   I think this caution comes up in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle
trilogy, as well.  Of course, by the third book, the author has made it
quite clear that a 17th century gentleman would have to have been
pretty trusting _not_ to wear a sword around town.
   So, if people were still sword fighting in town, why did the buckler
disappear?  Would the three musketeers (Athos, Porthos & Aramis) have
scoffed at bucklers?  Why?  Was it a matter of point control and high
speed rapier movements making bucklers too slow to parry?

Asher