[Runequest] melee round regulation question

Steve Perrin steve at limitedchaos.com
Wed Nov 30 06:29:18 EST 2011

I also use two actions a round and have discarded Strike Ranks. It was a
fun concept to start with, but RQIII perverted it beyond usability (and
I say that as one of the people who designed it). Currently I use
DEX+D10 for initiative.

I use 1 Mana point = 1 DEX point for determining when spells go off.
Since I have a spell building system, it is entirely possible to go to
negative Initiative for throwing a spell. An 11 Mana Pt spell goes into
the second round; for that purpose alone I equate 1 action with 10 DEX
points. And if I have a lot of players I often ignore this rule and just
have spells go off at DEX.

Over the years, I have gotten less and less fond of gimmicks that give a
player extra actions (I say "player" intentionally). Multiple strikes
within one action are okay as a concession to reality, but giving one
player extra actions just bogs down the game for other players- and the GM.

I also actively dislike the idea that defensive actions take up an
action. For simplicity's sake, I just let Parries and Dodges happen when
needed. I do not limit the defending character's number of defenses. I
figure the more opportunities he has to roll the dice, the more likely
he will blow the roll.

Steve Perrin