[Runequest] Re : melee round regulation question

Alban de ROSTOLAN aluban at yahoo.fr
Tue Nov 29 20:15:54 EST 2011

Hi,

Mongoose RuneQuest II uses the sum of INT and DEX to determine the number of actions one can do in a turn : 1 for 1 to 12, 2 for 13 to 24 and so on...
The average of the same characteristics is used to determine initiative order, summed with 1d10.
Actions are resolved one by one : every character has a chance to do its first action before any other one has the opportunity to do its second action.
Parries and Dodges also count as actions, even if they can be used "out of turn".

For example if a character with 4 actions faces another one with 2 actions, it is likely turn will play like that if no one parries :

Character 1 1st action

Character 2 1st action
Character 1 2nd action
Character 2 2nd action
Character 1 3rd action
Character 1 3rd action

As for myself, I'd use the system below :

-DEX +1d10 determines Initiative
-Every Attack costs 5 Initiative points.
-Spell casting would have an Initiative cost based on spell's Magic Point cost.

-Parries cost 2 Initiative points

-Dodges cost 3 Initiative points

A character will be allowed to act each time no one has a current initiative higher than his.
Ties are resolved using any relevant stat : Skill, INT, SIZ and/or DEX.

By the way, isn't RuneQuest 3 round 10 seconds long ?
Seems to me it's in RuneQuest 2 that a turn lasts 12 seconds.